Wednesday, August 25, 2010

You mean... that's not your real accent??

Hello folks! Well, you know you can always rely on me to bring up some random topic to discuss and this one definitely falls under that category!! It's all about accents and when people try to pull the wool over your eyes by not speaking in their native tongue, so to speak! Haha, I made a pun......

Anywho, I know many, many of my friends watch True Blood (as do we) and there are tons of tricky people on that show. Of course Vampire Bill (Stephen Moyer) is British and just newly married to Anna Paquin! I heard him speak on the red carpet @ the Emmy's last year and I loved it! He's just SO English and proper sounding in real life (and really funny too) but on the show he has that Civil War era accent. Can't we all agree that we love to hear Bill say, Sookie is mine in that accent too?! teehee!!!

Another fan fave from TB is Eric (Alexander Skarsgard). Now, he's Swedish but the interviews I have seen of him I can't really hear much of an accent. To me, he sounds shockingly American! You may also remember seeing him in Lady GaGa's Paparazzi video, speaking what I assume was Swedish in the beginning?  Either way, Eric's character has totally grown and me and I can't wait to hear more from him :) p.s. Today is Alexander's birthday, he is turning 34!!

The other main guy on the show is of course Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten). He sure does play 'dummy' really well with his Southern boy accent. Outside of TB Ryan is actually Australian. I found that out about a season into the show and that one really surprised me! Australian seems to be a hard one to cover up and he does it really well, in my opinion! He has a movie coming out and the trailer has just been released and in the movie you can hear him sounding like a real Australian guy! ;)
           Trailer for Red Hill




One last True Blood related person/accent was a character from this season. If you aren't up to date on this season you may or may not want to continue reading... it won't give anything away, just expect to see this face some during season 3 :) Anywho, it's James Frain. I first saw him in Home is Where the Heart Is w/Natalie Portman. Remember? It's the Walmart baby movie! Well, he played good 'ole Forney in that movie and I never would have guessed he was English.... until I saw him in The Tudors. That's when I decided to look him up b/c his British accent just sounded too authentic, know what I mean?? He didn't have to do much accent wise for True Blood considering he plays Brit-ish vampire Franklin ;) I loved his intensity as Franklin!!

If you aren't totally True Blood'd out on me I have one more.... that's not related to TB in any way at all! Now, I've seen this guy in a couple movies and never thought anything about his accent in movies (or lack thereof). Until a few days ago I read an article about him and it said he was a British actor blah, blah blah... What? He's British? I'm speaking of Idris Elba. Personally I like this guy, I think he's pretty cute and very manly at the same time. I loved him in Daddy's Little Girls, oops maybe I should correct that and put Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls! That guy loves his name in the movie titles, doesn't he?? He was also in Obsessed with Beyonce and Ali Larter. I guess since I saw him in those two movies where he plays a regular Joe father/husband it surprised me to find out he wasn't American!

I love him but Gerard Butler can't seem to shake his Scottish accent. Didn't you think King Leonidas (in 300) had a very strange Scottish-y sounding accent?! Along with the other roles he has done! No hard feelings Gerry but, if Kevin McKidd (Dr. Hunt on Grey's Anatomy) can do it (drop the Scot).... you can too!!! ;)

You may not be as easily amused as I am but I had to share. I think it shows real talent when someone can completely mask their 'original accent' and do something totally different. I know we've all seen {for example} when people try do an English accent and fail miserably. It just makes it difficult to get into that character and make it believable. Has there been anyone that has totally surprised you? Maybe a woman? I didn't seem to get any ladies on this list... Remember when Britney Spears was a little bit cuckoo and tried to speak with a British accent all the time?? LOL That's was a perfect example of a 'bad'!!! Maybe you can suggest a 'good' accent change for women...

No comments: